Phlebotomy competency course
3 Components Course: Theory session – Assessment session – 1 practical session in NHS clinic
- Modern facility and a well equipped clinic
- Friendly and welcoming staff
- Qualified and experienced trainers/lecturers
- Central location
- Convenient weekend AM/PM schedule – no need to take a day off work or study.
- Small number of students
- Well priced – one of the cheapest in the market
- Introduction to Phlebotomy.
- Infection Control and Health & Safety
- Medical Terminology
- Human Anatomy and Physiology
- The circulatory system structure and function
- Veins site selections, good and bad veins
- Blood collection equipment
- Needle stick injury
- Methods of blood collection
- Dermal Puncture
- Complications, risks and legal issues around blood
- Post puncture care
- Practical Phlebotomy skills in Phlebotomy arm
- Collection in Special Populations
- Specimen Transport, Handling, and Processing
- ... the ability to demonstrate flexibility for work, including shifts and additional hours?
- ... communication skills with the ability to communicate orally and in writing, directly as well as via telephone
- ... the ability to interact with individuals and groups showing sensitivity and empathy to the needs of others
- ... basic computer skills
- ... organisational skills with good time management
- ... the ability to work under pressure
- ... the ability to work as part of a team
- ... the ability to cope with difficult situations and nervous or stressed patients?
- ... the ability to demonstrate patience and respect to patient rights, including patient confidentiality
- ... an eye for details for observation and assessment required in patient care
- ... physical abilities with gross and fine motor skills required for the job
- ... tactile ability sufficient for physical assessment, including palpation of veins
- ... the willingness to undertake and learn necessary skills
- ... smart presentation maintaining a professional and appropriate image
- ... the ability to accept and follow instructions in a safe and efficient manner
- Course material,
- Certificate of competency
- Placement in NHS clinic (One session)
There are no formal requirements for phlebotomy training as there are no governing bodies in the UK.
However, NHS trusts came up with guidelines and framework for competency that we follow in our course.
What you get at the end of the course is a certificate of attendance/completion.
With the certificate of attendance/completion, you will have a better chance of getting a job, bearing in mind that most phlebotomy applicants have no previous experience, and you will be ahead of everyone with your training confirmation.
The certificate is a proof to your dedication, commitment and knowledge. You are ready to start practicing, and once you get competency you can apply to higher and better paid job quicker than other candidates.
Clinica have developed an entry level competency training course, in accordance with NHS CHS 132 to obtain venous blood sample 17 CriteriaThe course is designed to allow trainees to gain the necessary phlebotomy knowledge and understanding as well as gaining practical skills. At the end of the course trainees will be awarded a certificate of attendance as well as entry level competency.
Individuals are different and time needed to achieve competence is also different.
- Dr. Ibrahim Hamami